Friday, August 1, 2008

24 This is eternal lives—to know the only wise and true God, and Jesus Christ, whom he hath sent. I am he. Receive ye, therefore, my law. (D&C 132:24) (www.lds.org "scriptures" link)


I noticed the words in this today as I prepared a lesson. Notice the word "lives" and in the next verse the word "deaths" is also in plural. Isn't it interesting that this was changed in the bible. I am not sure that it's of a huge significance but the plural seems deliberate.
I also noticed that the word wise is in this verse as compared to the bible. It seems to make the description of God our Father more well rounded instead of the harsh, judging God that He is portrayed as so often. I can look at this and think of him has my Father who will counsel with me and share His wisdom in my many moments of need.
The term "law" referred to by Jesus in this verse is really important. It shows that there are important guidelines and boundaries for us. More importantly as we read more in these verses, we see the importance of this "law" as being two way covenants that need to be followed and worked on. Isn't is such a beautiful, full, verse? Doesn't is show God our Father and his Son, Jesus' power yet real love and concern for us to understand what is most important?
I am so grateful that our Savior takes so much time and effort on our behalf to work with us at our different stages that we go through in this existence. I am sooooo grateful that He and our Father in Heaven are patient and wise and steady. They are the only ones who are consistently so. How wonderful to know this and use this knowledge to handle everything day to day.

No comments: