Sunday, August 23, 2009

As an adult I have always noticed when people around me use God and Lord and Jesus Christ in a profane way. It bothers me. I know it's breaking a commandment. I know it's disrespectful. But I really like what I gained in this thought process through reading this one paragraph from a talk by Pres. Henry B. Eyring, ". . . I had learned from my parents and from the Savior’s teachings that we must address our Heavenly Father in the reverent language of prayer. “Our Father … in heaven, Hallowed be thy name” (Matthew 6:9). I knew that we never profane His sacred name—never. Can you imagine how the prayers of a child are harmed by hearing a parent profane the name of God? There will be terrible consequences for such an offense to the little ones." (President Henry B. Eyring, That They May Write Upon Our Hearts, Liahona, April 2009)

What seems to be important when we first look at the "Lord's Prayer" from the New Testament, is how He spoke of His Father's name. He referred to His Father's name as hallowed. In seeing this I think immediately that this is an important fact. Heavenly Father's name is hallowed so it must be treated with the utmost respect. It means that using the name of God, surely is disrespectful and a very unhallowed act.
Once in my growing up years, someone asked if when I was mad, did I say my sister's name out loud or my brother's or my Dad's name? Of course that would be silly, right? It would sound strange to yell out my sister's name if I stubbed my toe or had someone cut me off in traffic, right? She didn't do anything! I thought so myself. So then, if God the Father is much more important and His name is much more hallowed, how much sense does it make to use his name when cursing in anger or swearing at people? He has nothing to do with our getting cut off in traffic or the door slamming on our finger.
So how about not only worrying about our innocent children and the impact we are making on them in our selfish, disrespectful actions, but let's worry about the statement it makes about us and our characters. We are children of God. He is our Father and loves us more than anyone else ever can or will. He has our sole interests in His heart. In all of the love for us, He just asks for our love and respect to shine through in the things we do and say with our fellow beings every day. It's but a small thing we can do for Him.


More on the Savior:
http://jesuschrist.lds.org/?cid=wpats2

No comments: