Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Just Another Day

Well, it's just before bed and I should be closer to getting in bed but I thought I'd jot down a couple thoughts (or just one-I'm tired).

What can the scriptures do?
I started reading my scriptures every day again. I don't read a ton and I don't have a consistant amount that I read. It could be 5 verses or 3 chapters. But what I noticed, again, is how quickly I refocused my energy. I calmed down. I found myself feeling lighter, if that makes any sense. I was also quicker to re-evaluate my priorities.
Evaluating my priorities.
By saying that, I mean where I am putting my emotions and my energy. I have a pretty obvious set of priorities which don't change but what I chose to worry or ponder about while doing laundry, driving carpool, feeding our family, working in the yard, etc., isn't as obvious. It's very internal and personal.
There seem to be a myriad of important things to worry about. I could keep myself up at night worrying about my teenagers, and sometime do. I could stop eating because I put my energy into worrying about the renters and their problems with paying rent. I could make myself sick with worry about work, kids' friends, kids' schools, etc. etc. etc. But almost immediately when reading the inspired words in the scriptures, there is a comfort that begins to shield me from the edginess of all of these valid worries.
What is that powerful effect? Why is it a constant? Why do words matter so much?
All I know is that the words written in the scriptures are obviously more that just random thoughts. They are instructive and supportive. They lift and cheer the soul.
I am so grateful that we have the written words of our Savior and His prophets. What a blessing, indeed, to have preserved records that are life building.

No comments: